Friday, July 26, 2013

Feeding my family a Mexican Fiesta for $5.41 (including the grass-fed beef!)

 
The hubby called me this afternoon and asked if I wanted to go eat Mexican tonight for dinner.  I wasn't too keen on the idea for two reasons.  First, we have a toddler and an eight month old.  Do I really need to explain further?  Eating out is not enjoyable for me during this stage in our life because it is just so much work to make sure our three year old stays at the table (at the table, not above or below or anywhere else) and eats and that our eight month old is happy, simultaneously.  That's too much work.  Second, I'm kind of a food snob.  I really prefer to know the ingredients and what type of food is used in meals that myself and my family are eating and I know that restaurants typically use the cheapest ingredients possible.
So, instead of eating out, I went down to our freezer and pulled out a pound of sirloin steak and let it thaw.  I ended making beef fajitas, tomato rice and homemade guacamole.  And get this, the entire meal, that fed all three of us and included left overs, cost a sweet $5.41.  That includes the grass-fed sirloin steak, which when typically bought, isn't cheap.  Here's the breakdown -
 
Fajitas:
Pound of grass-fed beef - $2.50
Onion (I used an entire onion between the fajitas and rice) - 12 cents
Red, green and yellow pepper - 99 cents
Tortillas - (we used 5 out of a pack of 20) - 25 cents
Some oil and spices that are kept on hand in my pantry.
 
 
Tomato Rice (my own recipe and very yummy):
Tomatoes - free from the garden
Rice - The amount I used probably added up to about 17 cents of the total bag
Garlic - 20 cents
Spices - just stuff that I always keep in my pantry
 
Guacamole:
Avocado - $1.18 (this is way more than I would usually spend on an avocado, but I really wanted guacamole)
Other ingredients used are just staples in my pantry
 
Add that up and you get $5.41!  The local Mexican restaurants aren't too expensive, but you can't feed a family of three and have leftovers on that price.  The added bonus is that we buy an entire cow each year with money we purposely have taken out of Matt's check each month, so the price of the sirloin steak wasn't even out of our monthly budget.  When you take that into consideration, this meal cost us a cool $2.91!  PLUS we got to eat it in our own home, without worrying about the kiddos AND got to end the meal with a family dance party in the kitchen listening to Sanctus Real!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment