Monday, February 28, 2011

Cleaning with baking soda and vinegar

Tonight was the night that I dread every week.  It was the night that our dog, Brady, needed a bath.  He's only a 5 lb. Yorkshire Terrier, but he stinks.  He stinks bad.  He's got horrible breath and if he's kennelled too long during the day he likes to take potty breaks in his carrier.  Yuck.

My husband has been sick the last couple of days which meant I got to give Brady his bath tonight.  After his bath I knew I had to clean the tub, but felt uneasy about using regular bathroom cleaner on the tub.  I give Emma a bath every night in that tub and didn't like the thought of her cute little tooshie sitting on the same surface that I used harsh chemicals to clean only hours before.  I've been using Clorox Green cleaning products for a while but have read over and over that they ain't so green!  I've also read about the fact that when harsh cleaning chemicals are used and then hot baths are ran, the fume residue from the chemicals is then released and breathed in, which is obviously not a good thing (maybe I read too much, who knows).  So, having all of these thoughts together in my head made me decide to not use more normal cleaning products and whip out some good ol' baking soda and vinegar.

I sprinkled a good amount of baking soda on the surface of the tub and then poured some vinegar over it.  We all know the old grade school volcano trick with baking soda and vinegar, so I don't have to tell you about the fizzle.  But I liked the fizzle.  A lot.  It made me feel like there was some major cleaning action going on!  I let it fizzle for a bit and then scrubbed it with my wire scrub brush.  I definitely got some soap scum off and it worked wonderfully.  There also weren't any fumes to smell, which I have always hated.  All in all, I am very happy with the results and glad I finally tried it.  I will feel much better about having that sweet baby behind swimming laps in the tub now!

No comments:

Post a Comment